Thursday 20 September 2012

Exmouth


20.9.2012  We are parked in Ningaloo Caravan Park (in the doggy section) at Exmouth.  There’s only two parks that take dogs and the other one is 30kms down the road.  There’s no free camping either.  It’s lovely here but still the red dust is evident.  Tim used to be cream but he’s pale orange now. We’re having three nights here and will leave on Saturday.

Exmouth town centre is only a little place but it has two IGA’s which I find strange.  They’re on opposite sides of the mall. We’re going to see our son-in-law’s Grandpa this afternoon.  I Skyped Beth last night and when she told Charlie and Sienna we were in Exmouth and going to see Grandpa Charlie said , ’Our Grandpa in our Exmouth’?  they are just so gorgeous.

We’re charging everything up and Steve’s phone is working.  We also have good reception for the t.v. and because we have electricity we had bacon and egg in toast.  Although there’s toilets and showers here we still use our own.

The people behind us are from South Australia.  Debbie is in a wheelchair because she has M.S.  I say to Paige that there’s always someone worse off than us and Debbie has shown that to me today.  Because of damage to her eyes she can no longer read.  If I was in that position I’d be devastated, I’m an avid reader and love my Kindle.  Debbie also smokes, saying to me, ‘I don’t give a shit’. 

After a couple of showers I am indeed a different colour, more like myself. 





18.9.2012  An interesting day today during the drive from Forty Mile Beach
to  #489 in Camp 6 – Barradale Rest Area (Yannarie River) which is a large area off the road with heaps of spaces but a dust bowl.  I’m loath to open too many windows because I’m so over the red dust.

It seems that the ocean came a bit close to the caravan last night:  the caravan and truck are splattered with dried red dust and Steve says the sand in front of where we were sitting out was damp so the water must have been splashing.

We lost a mirror before we got off the gravel road.  I suddenly saw it fly off the fitting and shouted at Steve to stop.  When he went to pick it up the mirror itself was broken. I’m waiting for the people at Clearview Mirrors to tell me they’ve made them for our vehicle.  They’re expensive (approximately $800.00) but well worth it.   

Fuel was $2.05 a litre at Fortescue roadhouse and they only made instant coffee so we passed on the coffee and had iced drinks instead with a couple of mass produced muffins.

Then we stopped at the next roadhouse for more fuel (Steve didn’t mention the price so it must have been less than the first of today’s fill up but he did get a frozen loaf of white bread, a Cornetto for moi and a sausage roll for him and this cost $18.00, yes $18.00 for three items, I kid you not and you can see why Tim didn’t get anything other than a bite of Steve’s muffin and a bit of my ice cream which dropped into my Cystic Fibrosis hat.

When we came into the caravan the kitchen tap was loose so Steve has to fix that when he’s recovered from the driving.

I’m getting quite giddy because I’m having a shower later today.  We filled both tanks at Fortescue (no charge, it’s on the forecourt next to the diesel pump).  We were down to nothing again because we’d done a few loads of washing when we were at Cleaverville.  I’m thinking I may have caught the sun because I’m a good shade but it could well be the dust that’s impregnated into my skin.  All will be revealed later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because you've taken the time to read these words of wisdom please leave a comment