Friday 18 May 2012

That's another surgery out of the way.   No epidural this time as it's been decided it was that which caused damage to my sciatic nerve.  I'm home now after 5 nights in hospital.  Such a difference from the first hip replacement.  There is pain at the wound site and in the muscles but its bearable and I'm able to get through the night.

Last time I got only 15 minutes sleep from each hour because of the foot drop.  I was cranky and depressed and upset when any noise woke me up and took it out on Steve which really was wrong.  Poor guy does everything for me, changes dressings, rubs in cream, washes bits I can't reach, then dries them.  He's one in a million and means everything to me.

When I was in Hollywood hospital I went to the physiotherapy class and I could hardly believe it when I saw all these old men wearing socks and thongs on their feet.  I cannot see how it's safe to wear thongs when you have just had surgery on your hips/legs.  I go barefoot because I can't grip anything with my left toes or even push my foot into shoes.  When we go out I wear socks because I still have to go in the wheelchair because my feet and legs are so swollen.  I'm so not into this getting old lark.

I met a lady called Amy (not her real name and if you ask me about her I won't know who you're talking about) who had also had a hip replacement.  She's 10 years older than me and we had a good ole laugh.  It you can find something to laugh at it does make you feel better but Amy's finding it difficult because her operated leg is now 1.5cms shorter than her other leg.  She can stand up and swing the leg and it doesn't touch the ground, unlike mine which would have me falling onto my face.  She has to have her other knee done soon and understandably she's uncertain what to do.

Amy and John (also not his real name) have a caravan so I asked her to join us in Gingin on the 25th May.  Anyone can come.  I've booked us in and there were 13 other vans confirmed.  If you join us mention you're with The Forum and there should be a $2.00 discount.

                                www.willowbrookfarm.com.au               telephone 9575 7566


The 25th May is 65 Roses Day for Cystic Fibrosis.  We have the rear of the caravan drawing attention to C.F. and I hope we can also draw some money from purses/wallets etc.,  We have a full box of merchandise plus wrist bands.  We also have a receipt book for anyone who would like to make a donation.


CF Wrist Band

Wristband
Red wrist band with embossed red rose and white writing "Cystic Fibrosis" "breathe life"



http://www.cysticfibrosis.org.au/pdf/RED_Winter_2012_web.pdf




No comments:

Post a Comment

Because you've taken the time to read these words of wisdom please leave a comment