Sunday 27 January 2013

Organ Donation and Lungs on Hold

In 1988 when we still lived in England the local Rotary were trying to get donors on the Bone Marrow Registry. Steve and I took the opportunity to give a sample of blood and get registered.

When we arrived in Australia, I don't know how it happened but Steve and I got onto the registry and also on the Organ Donor list.  Louisa and James are also organ donors.

We feel that it's important for bits and pieces that are no longer any use to us, because we're dead, to be available to anyone who is suffering because their bits are no longer working properly.

Personally, I would prefer that my organs not be transplanted into someone who has deliberately abused their body, i.e. alcohol, drug abuse etc., but I'm told we can't discriminate and I'm really quite passionate about donating.  Let's face it, once I'm dead I'm not going to be bothered, all our family know my views and theirs will be the ultimate call.

When Paige was first diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at 6 weeks we were called into the Respiratory department at PMH and during the explanation of what CF is and what was likely to happen we were told that it may be that when Paige is older she may need a lung transplant.

This is the honest truth and I kid you not but immediately Beth said, 'Oh, she can have mum's! '.  I just sat there, wondering how I was going to manage without this very important part of my body.


A few years later Paige and I were talking about organ donation and I said that when she's older she may need a new set of lungs and (just like her mother) she said, 'Can I have yours Granny?'  I'd already asked her consultant if she could have one of my lungs but he said it was probably in a worse state than hers.  We need more people to become organ donors and I'm in the 'lets make it compulsory' camp.  You can't take your body with you when you die, it gets burned or buried, either way it's no use to anyone, if its buried it's taking up space although if its cremated your loved ones can take the ashes and sprinkle them on your roses and watch them spring into life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Because you've taken the time to read these words of wisdom please leave a comment